On this page:
Scorecard and local government
The Residential Efficiency Scorecard is an effective way for local governments to support householders to:
- reduce their energy costs and carbon emissions
- make their homes more comfortable
- improve health outcomes for those with temperature-sensitive conditions.
Householders may also be planning on making their home all-electric, but unsure where to start. Whatever the goal, government-accredited Scorecard assessors provide householders with a clear path.
There are local governments across Australia already running programs using Scorecard. You may be interested to learn how these programs help to:
- meet community needs
- support the council to achieve their emissions reductions targets
- improve health outcomes for vulnerable residents
- and other goals.
Data from assessments can be shared to assist with reporting emissions abatement. We understand every local government is different, and there are many ways Scorecard programs can be designed and implemented to meet the needs of your community.
Accredited Scorecard assessors can produce a Scorecard variation report for householders. The variation report models the impact of upgrades on a home's energy efficiency star rating.
Scorecard provides an objective and repeatable rating, independent of occupant behaviour and demonstrates the real and measurable environmental benefits of upgrades, ensuring annual reporting of energy and emissions reductions are quick and easy.
Sustainability Victoria's recent Healthy Homes Program used Scorecard assessments to guide home energy upgrades. Some post-upgrade findings from the research report include:
- $887 on average per person was saved in healthcare costs over the winter period alone.
- Around half the participants were less like to go to bed early.
- There was also reported improvements in respiratory health, mental health and feelings of comfort.
Scorecard can also be used to support applications for Environmental Upgrade Finance where available.
Webinar for local governments
Discover how Scorecard can support your community’s goals:
- The webinar recording and transcript can be found below.
- Download the slide deck here.
Keen to attend the next webinar or discuss starting a program? Please contact us at: email@example.com
Examples of local government programs using Scorecard
Banyule City Council: Better Score program
City of Adelaide: Sustainability Incentives Scheme
The Sustainability Incentives Scheme provides householders with rebates of 50% (up to $200) on Residential Efficiency Scorecard assessments.
This program was featured on 9 News Adelaide, the video can be found on our Facebook page.
Randwick City Council: Sustainability Rebates
Randwick City Council's Sustainability Rebates offer the following rebates for Scorecard assessments:
- Household: 50% up to $150
- Apartment Block: 50% up to $1,000
Example resource: What is the Residential Efficiency Scorecard?
The Scorecard team has a range of resources that can be used across your digital channels. See our Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube channels for more examples. Please feel free to share our posts with your communities.
Scorecard for councils
Have a residential energy project you think may benefit from using Scorecard?
Contact the Scorecard team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scorecard and community organisations
Scorecard can help community organisations working towards improving household energy efficiency and comfort, target the best value upgrades for householders.
Scorecard offers an objective way of determining the best value upgrades based on the features of the home and the householder’s individual circumstances.
The Scorecard certificate shows a home's:
- energy efficiency star rating out of 10 stars
- comfort rating showing how well a home copes with hot and cold weather
- star rating with and without solar power
- efficiency ratings for each of the fixed appliances such as heating, cooling and hot water service
- energy consumption of the fixed appliances over one year
- greenhouse gas emissions for the fixed appliances over one year
- provides practical options to improve the home’s energy efficiency.
Scorecard also gives community organisations the ability to evaluate project outcomes through data reports. Whether your organisation is working on small-scale projects or longer term, community-wide programs, Scorecard can help meet your targets
Page last updated: 09/06/23